Egypt offered on Tuesday its condolences to Indonesia over the victims of the recent deadly 7.0-magnitude earthquake that hit the Indonesian island of Lombok, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
The massive quake that took place on Sunday evening left at least 105 people dead and 236 injured so far, while the Indonesian authorities evacuated more than 4,600 tourists from the three islands near Lombok.
“The Egyptian government and people offer their condolences to their Indonesian counterparts and to the families of the victims over the painful accident,” said the Egyptian statement.
Egypt expressed confidence in the ability of the Indonesian people to overcome the calamity.
Indonesia’s authorities expect the number of victims to rise as the assessment work continues.
The quake had a 15-km depth and an epicenter 18 km northwest of Lombok Timur in West Nusa Tenggara province.