Egypt has slammed the European Union’s criticism of a recent Egyptian court ruling sentencing dozens of people to death as “subjective” and failing to respect the rule of law.
An Egyptian court sentenced 75 people to death earlier this week including prominent leaders of the now-banned Muslim Brotherhood group in a mass trial over a 2013 sit-in.
Maja Kocijancic, the EU spokeswoman for foreign affairs and security policy said on Tuesday “the circumstances of this mass trial cast serious doubts on the respect of due process and in particular the defendants’ rights to a fair trial.”
Egypt said the comments represent “a persistent approach of subjective positions of the commission, and ultimate judgments driven by bias and deviation from the principles of respect for the rule of law and judicial authorities,” the foreign ministry said in a statement late on Tuesday.
“Egypt will continue to abide by the principles of non-interference in the internal affairs of other countries in line with the Charter of the United Nations, which shall be respected by all members of the international community, including the European Commission,” the statement added.
The sentencing on Saturday included prison terms for more than 600 others in a mass trial in which people face charges of murder and inciting violence during the pro-Muslim Brotherhood sit-in at Rabaa Adawiya square in Cairo. The court decision can still be appealed.