The Ministry of Legal and Parliamentary Affairs prepared a report addressing points raised by a November report published by Human Rights Watch (HRW), recommending certain measures be implemented to monitor human rights in Egypt.
These are the main recommendation in the ministry’s report.
1) Accelerating the drafting of human rights laws.
2) Coordination between state institutions and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
3) Coordinating efforts on human rights with the regional representatives of NGOs and unions.
4) Issuing an annual report on human rights in Egypt.
5) Holding training sessions for civil servants and employees at institutions providing direct services for citizens.
6) Establishing a human rights unit in every minister and governorates’ municipal authority.
7) Promoting human rights culture in Egypt.
8) Addressing the issues raised by international organizations in reports on human rights.
9) Coordination with international organizations.
10) Promoting state’s efforts on human rights.
Minister Omar Marwan attended a press conference on human rights held on Thursday by the State Information Service. He said that President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi is personally following the latest updates regarding human rights issues in the state.
Diaa Rashwan, Head of the State Information Service, affirmed in his speech that Egypt’s Prosecutor General Nabil Sadeq decided to establish a Human Rights Department to receive complaints and investigate reports of abuse.
Rashwan noted that the state is highly concerned about the condition of human rights, and therefore the Ministry of Legal and Parliamentary Affairs conducted a press conference on November 15 to address all of the reports aspects and issued a detailed report on it.
Marwan’s commented during the conference in November that the report highlighted negative and positive aspects regarding the situation.
He stated that the report addressed human rights in health and society since 2014, adding that the report’s final recommendations were handed over to the relevant authorities and ministries.