Egypt is not planning to submit an application to host the 2030 World Cup, according to Egyptian Minister of Sports Ashraf Sobhy.
In an interview with Sada El Balad, the Egyptian minister said that his country is not intending to submit any application to host a sports tournament, including the 2030 World Cup.
Sobhy stressed that Egypt is focusing and studying hosting tournaments in future periods, including in 2030.
This means that Morocco might end up being the only African country that is joining the race to secure hosting rights for the 2030 World Cup.
On March 14, King Mohammed VI announced Morocco’s decision to join the Spain-Portugal joint bid to host the global tournament.
The announcement received support from many, including Spain, Portugal, European football’s governing body UEFA, and the Confederation of African Football (CAF).
Earlier this month, the CAF executive committee unanimously agreed on behalf of African Football to support Morocco’s bid.
“The unanimous decision that was taken by the CAF Executive Committee to support Morocco’s bid to host the FIFA World Cup 2030 means that the bid of Morocco is now the bid of the African Continent,” President of CAF Patrice Motsepe said.
The CAF president stressed the importance of ensuring that Africa hosts the FIFA World Cup a second time after South Africa in 2010, stressing commitment to working together with all football associations and confederations to “make this happen.”
Morocco has previously joined the World Cup hosting race, most recently challenging and losing to the joint bid of the US, Mexico, and Canada by 134 votes against 65.